It’s a big weekend for holiday shopping here in Chicago, and in the spirit of enabling your fashion consumption, we had to round up the best in bauty! With these products, which are either Chicago-based brands or available for pickup locally, our beauty gift guide should take care of all the ladies and men on your list.
- Cocovit Coconut Oil – A luxurious and organic wonder product known for its healing and emollient properties, Cocovit is pure coconut oil for your face and body. What makes Cocovit different is that they do not cold-process/press the oil, ensuring it’s essential nutrients are not lost through the packaging of the product. Use it as a face moisturizer and blemish-healer, as a hair mask and nail strengthener, or even as a baby-safe body cream. Cocovit is a Chicago-based line selling across the country this holiday season – with two sizes available – a travel and TSA-friendly 3.3oz size at $25 and a substantial 8.8oz jar at $38.
- MAKE Cosmetics – This beautifully crafted and packaged makeup line will knock your socks off. The pigments and packaging of the lipsticks are simply exquisite – my favorite is the perfect tomato-red (as you can see above) – Scarlet; and the multi-shade bronzers come in three shades for light, medium and dark skin tones – a must-have for every girl and every skin color. If you’re all about a flawless face, try the Matte Dew skin perfector which reduces shine and adds moisture in all the right places. Even better – a percentage of all purchases are donated to women-led, cooperative businesses. It’s a gorgeous gift that gives back! MAKE cosmetics are available online at weseebeauty.com or in store at Barney’s New York (15 E. Oak Street ).
- Astrowifey Nail Appointment (via a Giftbar Gift Card) – Trust me. Astrowifey is THE BEST nail artist in the city. Her designs are works of art (even Lady Gaga loves her). I’ve been lucky enough to get one of my own manicures with Astrowifey, and nothing has lived up since! Purchase your gift card for Astrowifey online at Giftbar and take a look at her work on www.astrowifeynails.com
- LVX Nail Laquer – This Chicago-based, vegan nail polish line has stolen our hearts, taking the colors from each season’s runways and turning them into gorgeous hues for your hands and feet. We hear there’s a holiday line coming soon, too, and can’t wait to try it! LVX can be purchased online at www.shoplvx.com or locally at Standout Style Boutique (1419 W. Belmont Ave ) and Heavenly Massage Gold Coast (1116 N. State Street)
- Mojo Spa – Not only does this Wicker Park nail spa smell like a dream, they have their own line of handmade cosmetics, bath and body products so that you and your loved ones can be just as fragrant and luscious at home! I recommend the Shaving Soap and After Shave Oil for Women. And the Cake Soap slices are just shy of indulgent! You can order online (they ship internationally, by the way) at www.mojospa.com.For those seeking in-spa nail appointments, Mojo Spa (1468 N. Milwaukee ) and can be reached at 773.235.6656.
- Dirt Body Scrubs – Talk about ‘groundbreaking beauty’! Dirt Body Care are purveyors of fine body scrubs that exfoliate to remove the top layer of yucky dead skin cells while depositing all the amazingly nourishing elements and nutrients Mother Earth has to offer – straight from the soil and into your freshly softened skin. I’m lusting after the Purify and Glow, Cucumber + Fig Salt Scrub myself! Dirt products are available online at www.dirtbodycare.com, and at a number of locations across the city – click here to find one near you!
- Hiddenfolk body products – This Chicago-based brand makes their small-batch vegan products from all-natural, ethically sourced, and plant derived materials to create unusual fragrances for the eco-friendly ladies and gents on your list this year. How about an herbal bath soak made from Himalayan pink salt, holy basil and hibiscus flower (above), or Vetiver and Lemongrass face and body lotion for him or her? Hiddenfolk will be available at Dose Market’s HoliDose event THIS WEEKEND. Stop by Venue One (1034 W. Randolph ) in the West Loop this Sunday, December 14.
- Merlin’s Beard – Did you think I’d forget those men on your list with gorgeous faces in need of some TLC?! I think not. Merlin’s Beard is a line of facial hair products for men that I will definitely be purchasing for the guys on my list this year. They use all natural ingredients that work like magic to help your man grow and maintain healthy beard – including combs, waxes and oils. Merlin’s Beard is available on their Etsy shop or at the HoliDose market this Sunday.
- Aroma Workshop – (via a Giftbar Gift Card) — If pre-mixed fragrances aren’t your thing, why not give the gift of a customized, one-of-a-kind fragrance mixing experience at Chicago’s very own Aroma Workshop (2050 N. Halsted )? Their experts will help the women and men in your life find the scent that’s made just for them – all in one little, lovely bottle! Purchase your gift card to Aroma Workshop on Giftbar.