In the fashion industry, we often see trends walk the catwalk and then return promptly backstage to never be seen again, while others walk to the end and seemingly keep on going, spreading like wildfire right to the ends of the earth. It’s no doubt, this season, that the wildfire trend in footwear is the cap toe shoe. And even more specifically, metal cap toe shoes.
We all know that the cap toe has been around for a while – hats off to Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel who created the first pair in 1957, which to this day still remain a classic staple in every fashion maven’s closet (though mine may not be Chanel… they’re close enough as I’ll ever get!).
Since 1957, the cap toe has come a long way, slowly evolving from the late ’50s classic, structured, noir style to growing taller with points, platforms and everything in between. Somehow, even with every modification this shoe style has encountered over the last 55 years, it’s still managed to keep it’s sophisticated and ladylike personality… with a bit of an edgy flair that screams, “Hey! I’m fabulous and I’m a lady. Don’t mess with me.”
We spotted metal cap toe shoes on the runway in countless Spring 2012 shows, incorporating other popular trends like neon, florals, metallics, pastels, and suede, which were extremely popular this summer (remember this pair from Zara?). The most memorable pairs emerged from the Louis Vuitton Spring collection. They were seen on the streets of every major fashion city in the U.S. and beyond. The designs were simple but available in a myriad of colors and skins.
For Fall, Luis Vuitton wowed us again with a darker, more seductive interpretation of the same trend, this time adding embellishments and textures like studs, fur and animal print.
Although the styles are essentially the same, the designs from Spring to Fall couldn’t be any more different. But they all have one thing in common: the illusion of power. Whether it’s seductive and blunt, or subtle and alluring, the metal cap toe offers a confidence that speaks for itself.
I’ve kept my eye out for some of this season’s best metal cap toe styles and at a variety of price points and heel heights. Care to dip your toes into this trend? Start by checking out these fabulous finds.
1. London Rebel Heeled Shoe with Metal Toe Cap: $55 (on sale!), available at ASOS
2. Vince Camuto Signature Prunella Taupe: $250, available at Vince Camuto
3. ASOS Status Pointed Wedges with Metal Toe Cap: $69, available at ASOS
4. DV by Dolce Vita Lunna Flat: $79, available at Nordstrom – Look familiar? If you were at the Fashion’s Night Out event at Macy’s on State Street, you might have caught a glimpse of these beauties in ChiTown Fashionista’s presentation!
5. Alice + Olivia Pony Hair And Metal Toe Ankle Boots: $465, available at Saks Fifth Avenue
6. ASOS Pluto Pointed High Heel with Metal Toe Cap: $62 (on sale!), available at ASOS
7. Valentino Metal Toe Cap Boot: $859, available at FarFetch
8. Metal Toe Leopard Pump: $89, available at SheInside
9. Bamboo Mirina 02 Nude Studded Metal Cap Toe Ballet Flats: $29, available at Lulus